In an effort to simplify my life and establish more balance, I’ve decided to write down everything that I spend a significant amount of time doing.
This started with just a list of hobbies, to help me narrow-down and prioritize my “free time” [free-time is almost not a word in my vocabulary 🙁 hence this post ] .
Then I realized there are many other non-hobby things that I focus my attention on, and found it interesting and helpful to list them as well.
Things That consume my time
Note: these lists are in no particular order, and I don’t use any time tracking/management software, I just sat down and barnstormed.
- photography (photo a day)
- photography (general, photo editing)
- biking (flatland / bmx)
- biking (mountain)
- gym / working out
- jogging / hiking
- rock climbing
- android app projects
- arduino / electronics projects
- programming projects (misc)
- playing guitar
- listening / discovering / enjoying music
- blogging / website maintenance
- learning new things
- keeping up to date with news / interests
- hanging with friends
- keeping job skills updated
- programming practice / review for interviews
- church (Sunday service)
- church (volunteering)
- church (leading / attending life-groups)
- misc adult-ing (home chores, errands, hygiene)
- traffic / drivng
- email / messaging
- waiting in line
- my phone
I’m hoping that writing this post will help me be more aware about how I’m spending my precious time, and re-focus my attention to a more fulfilling life.
How do you spend your time, and how do maintain work-life balance?